Do you own a Facebook Business page? Changes are coming! From January 2015, Facebook will penalise promotional posts.
If you use Facebook to post about your products or promotions, be warned that you will see your organic post reach drop in the New Year.
Facebook defines any of the following as being promotional:
1. Posts that solely push people to buy a product or install an app.
2. Posts that push people to enter promotions and sweepstakes with no real context.
3. Posts that reuse the exact same content from ads.
This is purely for organic posts and will not impact boosted posts or Facebook Ads, although there are a number of changes coming here too, as people have more control over what is displayed in their News Feed. Full details can be found here:
We are always encouraging our clients to keep their social media content engaging and interesting. Read our blog entitled “It’s not all about me, me, me” to find out more.
From the New Year, consider the following when trying to push a product or promotion on Facebook:
- Write a blog! Provide a solution and link people to your latest blog article, where details of your products, services and promotions can be mentioned.
- Ask questions and encourage discussion. You can link to pages of your website in your comments.
- Use photos and videos. Again, providing a solution, rather than purely “selling”.
- Think seasonal – Tap into holidays, celebrations, New Year, Valentine’s day etc.
- Use Insights to monitor post reach and work out what is working well and what needs improvement.
If you’d like any help with your Facebook content in 2015, then please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Happy New Year!
From Lisa & Claire