For all you Facebook fans, we are sure that you’ve noticed the relatively new Facebook Live button. We’ve seen a few live videos and would like to share our top tips!
What is Facebook Live?
Facebook Live is a video tool which allows you to share live videos with your followers.
On your smartphone, simply tap on “Publish”:
Then select “Live video”:
Ensure you allow microphone access – you will be prompted to do this the first time you use Facebook Live. You need to go to your settings, click on Privacy and click on Microphone and ensure you have a green setting on Facebook.
When you start recording, there will be a red icon at the top left-hand corner of the video indicating that it is a live video. The word “Live” is written next to the icon, along with the number of current viewers.
Videos will appear in News Feed and on the broadcaster’s Page or profile while they are live. Once a broadcast has ended, live videos are eligible to show up everywhere that other videos appear. Did you know that Facebook Live videos are more likely to appear higher in News Feed when those videos are actually live, compared to after they are no longer live?
A live video can be up to 90 minutes, but we recommend short, sharp bursts of information. If you are considering the use of video as part of your marketing mix, then you should consider using the Facebook Live tool.
So you are ready to get started! Here are some of our top tips:
- Ensure your microphone setting is switched on (we’ve seen a few silent videos)!
- Consider your background and motion – you don’t want to make your viewers feel sea-sick with too much movement!
- Consider your facial expressions, especially when stopping and starting – better still get somebody to record the Live Video for you.
- Practice your key message and the language you are going to use before you start filming.
- Don’t use this tool for the sake of it – have something to show or demonstrate e.g. a short make up lesson or the way to wear the latest accessory would be perfect.
- PLAN! – Let people know beforehand that you will be live at a certain time, so they will be online to watch you. Pick a time when your audience is mainly online (you can get this information from your Facebook Insights).
- Use “a hook” to encourage people to “tune in” e.g. at 8pm tonight I’ll be announcing my latest special offer for the first 50 customers etc.
If you have any questions or if you have any other tips to share from your experience, we’d love to hear from you! Happy Facebook videoing!